[Ocp-europe] RuggedPOD production cost reduction concept

Jean-Marie Verdun jean-marie.verdun at splitted-desktop.com
Thu Jul 9 20:41:42 UTC 2015

Hi,

Our current RuggedPOD is running under vacuum. This has some key
advantages but production cost is high due to high flatness surface
quality that we must be reached to keep vacuum for a long period of time.

While working on cabling, we discovered that PTFE has some extremelly
good performances with oil the coolant used in RuggedPOD. Our wish is to
protect oil from oxydation happening with direct contact with oxygen.
An option might be to fill up part of the POD with a balloon which
contain fresh air and add some oil. When the oil is warmed up it will
apply some pressure on the balloon which will exhaust it's air out. When
the oil will get cooler it will contract and external air might get
inside the balloon.

This concept might remove the whole need to run under vacuum and might
drastically lower production cost. What is your feedback ?

This doesn't change the interest we have to finish the vacuum system, as
it is really interesting for "moving" POD like the one used for Army or
disaster recovery, but in DC or CDN usage, I believe the balloon version
might be really good.

Some power transformer are using this principle.

--

   Jean-Marie Verdun
*Splitted-Desktop Systems*

jean-marie.verdun at splitted-desktop.com

	Splitted-Desktop Systems is a proud member of the Open Compute Foundation
and a Gold member till July '15. We can provide you consulting and
engineering
services related to any OCP hardware. We also drive RuggedPOD and Daap Open
Hardware projects